We have been asked about the Coronavirus, and as a library we are here to provide trusted information.
What is Coronavirus?
According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control (CDC), Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
Trusted information sources
The CDC has set up a website – accessible in English, Spanish, and Somali – with updated information and resources. On this site you will find details on prevention, symptoms, testing, and ways to keep you and your family healthy.
The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) is another reliable source to find resources, information for schools and child care, preventative actions, and a situation update on the state of Minnesota.
The CDC has recommended the following ways to help people protect themselves from respiratory illness:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.